quinta-feira, janeiro 29, 2009

Vyatta inside VMWare

A bit about my job:

I am the IT jack-of-all-trades on my company's office. We have a few offices acattered around the blue marble, connected by VPN.

My VPN router died on monday, and we scrambled for a solution. Living in Brazil, a device which costs U$ 499 in the U.S. magically soars up to U$ 1,600.00 inside our country... Given the global economic downturn (and me liking open source), I looked for something baed on open source, but which is not a 'hobby job'. I had to feel confident about the product.

Also, having most of our infrastructure virtualized on VMWare Server 2.0, a virtualized router would come in handy, as long as virtualization does not impact performance.

I ended up finding Vyatta (http://www.vyatta.com), which looks like an interesting solution so far. I have been experimenting with it, and have managed the most basic stuff (NAT masquerading, set up pppoe, remote SSH admin). I will post more about it later (after I figure it out :) ).

Nenhum comentário: