quinta-feira, janeiro 29, 2009

Rename VMWare Server 2.0 bridges

After my brilliant eth* renaming merry-go-round, I had another simple, but annoyingly hard-to-find-info about mission: change bridge names (just the labels) in VMWare.

After hastily running through the settings wizard on running vmware-config.pl, I realized that I had 4 bridges:
Bridge
Bridge(2)
Bridge(3)
Bridge(4)

Which are not very helpful names. Sure, I could have given the right names from the start, but I am just human. Everyone looks back and say ' I could hve done that one better' right?
After NOT finding any info on how to do it, I just tried the shotgun approach and got to dig on the vmware-config.pl command options.

Turns out I am a lucky guy. When i got to the network reconfiguration section, I told I wanted to change network settings, but instead of using the wizard ( as I always do - many people might do it too) I used the editor option. there we can change the network setting of all configured bridges, NATs and host-only networks. So I renamed all my bridges to "Bridge eth*" and it was all set.

Nenhum comentário: